Gymnema sylvestre – 100% Pure Leaf Powder (250g)
Gymnema sylvestre, also known as Gurmar, is native to the tropical forests of southern and central India and Sri Lanka. The herb is a slow-growing, perennial climber with elliptical leaves and small, yellow flowers. The medicinal part of the plant is the leaf, which reduces or eliminates the ability to perceive sweetness. For instance, after eating gurmar, a banana can taste like a bland, overcooked vegetable. This is due to the presence of compounds, known as gymnemic acids, which bind to taste receptors on the tongue. This effect has been known for centuries – the Hindi name gurmar translates as “destroyer of sugar.” Studies have also found these gymnemic acids exhibit anti-diabetic and anti-inflammatory activities.
Gurmar (Gymnema sylvestre) has a long history of use in Ayurvedic medicine for the treatment of diabetes, upper respiratory infections, and fevers. The main point of interest in the west is gurmar leaf’s effects on insulin levels and blood sugar given the rising epidemic of adult onset type 2 diabetes. Gurmar acts to normalize blood sugar levels only lowering glucose in those who are hyperglycemic. This herb also has a positive effect on triglycerides and cholesterol levels as well. Gurmar is of interest to dieters as well. Taken over a long period of time it has been shown to reduce the sugar cravings that can hijack your sensible eating plans.
History and Traditions
Its common name is “sugar destroyer”, because chewing the leaves destroys the ability to discriminate the sweetness of foods .Gymnema sylvestre has been used traditionally in India for diabetes for over 2,000 years. It has recently become popular as a diet “sugar blocker”.
Studies of gurmar are primarily from India. The focus of these studies is on certain compounds found in the herb, called gymnemic acids, which have been shown to decrease the absorption of sugar from the intestines. These compounds may also increase insulin levels in the body. One study using 400 mg of a water-soluble fraction of gurmar leaves for 18 to 20 months found that patients with diabetes were able to decrease their dose of prescription diabetes medication due to reduction in blood sugar. Five of the patients were able to discontinue use of conventional diabetic medicine entirely, and maintain their healthy blood glucose levels.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database (NMCD) states there is developing research suggesting an extract of gurmar, in combination with diabetic medications, can moderate blood sugar levels in people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. However, there is insufficient evidence to make specific claims as to the effectiveness of gurmar at this time.
Herb /drug interactions:
Gurmar may increase insulin levels in the body, thus decreasing blood sugar. Closely monitor your blood sugar if you use gurmar in combination with blood sugar and diabetes medications, as it may cause an unsafe blood sugar balance in the body.
Other safety concerns:
The NMCD states gurmar appears safe to use for up to 20 months when used appropriately. There is insufficient information available regarding use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding – avoid using when pregnant or nursing.
Benefits of Gurmar
- Non-GMO, Raw herb powder, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian. Sun shadow dried with green house technology.
- Wild Crafted – Full Spectrum.
- No filler, No binder, No preservatives.
- Direct from the manufacturer.
- Authentic, A-Grade Quality, Sourced from its natural habitat.
- Powder contains all the properties of the herbs (no extraction of any ingredients from the raw herb nor any oil)
- Herbs are washed in cold water to keep the full potency/ retain properties of herbs which might get lost some in water flow.
- Gurmar (Gymnema Sylvestre) supports pancreas health
- It may help to maintain the healthy metabolic activities of liver, kidney and spleen which is already with in normal health.
- The leaves of this herb may help to regularize the sweet taste.
- It may help in small dose as weight management diet plan.
Other Uncommon Names of This Herb: Gurmarbooti, Periploca of the woods, Meshasringi, Gymnema, Gurmari, Gemnema Melicida, Gimnema, Madhunashini, Amudhapushpam, Merasingi, Meshashringi, Madhoolika, Periploca Sylvestris, Vishani, Shardunika, Madhinasini, Sirukurinchaan, Chakkarakolli.
INGREDIENTS AND USAGE
Chemical Composition: The major bioactive ingredient of Gurmar is gymnemic acid. It has anti sweetener and anti inflammatory properties.
Usage of Gurmar
- Powder of Gurmar may help in weight management diet plan. You can take this in the form of tea.
- It may help to suppresses the taste of sweet food and consequently reduce the desire to eat.
- Paste of Gurmar mixed with castor oil can be applied on glands and also on liver and spleen.
- It may help purify the blood.
Take 5 gms (One-third to half tea-spoon) 2 times a day Gurmar Powder with water 1 hrs before meals. Take first dose before breakfast. If you are mixing with other herbs, use Gurmar proportionately or consult your health care provider.
Caution: Pregnant/Lactating women, children or with any known pre-existing condition one should take under the advice of your health care provider. Keep away from the reach of children.
TRUST ROCKET ROBIN
Rocket Robin is proud to be your supplier of truly natural products with simple ingredients in support of your family’s health and well-being.