Moringa oil is extracted from the seeds of Moringa oleifera, also known as the Drumstick tree. Moringa oil has got a special name, it is Ben oil. It is called so because it has high amounts of behenic acid. Moringa oil has been mentioned as a very useful oil in the medicinal books of Greece and Rome. Even today, this oil is used for a number of industrial applications. It is great for topical use on the skin and the hair. It is also a nice cooking oil with a soft, appealing taste.
Moringa oil is extracted by pressing the seeds of Moringa oleifera. This tree is native to the Himalayan foothills. This tree grows long pods which contain seeds. It is quite nutritious. The nutrition of moringa leaves is even superior to the highly nutritious vegetables like spinach. Its seeds are also quite nutritious as they contain high levels of B vitamins and Vitamin C. The oil can be extracted either by cold pressed method, or by solvent extraction . In olden times, it was extracted using hand pressing.
There are many varieties of Moringa oil, depending on the variety of Moringa tree from which the oil is extracted. Oil taken from different locations has slight differences in nutrition and properties, like India, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Malawi and other parts of Africa. Other species in the genus Moringa are also used to make moringa oil, but they are not Ben oil. This is especially reserved for Moringa oleifera oil.
Moringa oil exerts many therapeutic properties because of its unique nutrition.
- Antioxidant – Ben oil has strong antioxidant capacity.
- Anti-inflammatory – The oil reduces inflammation both topically and internally.
- Anti-aging – The oil provides nutrition to our skin and relieves aging signs.
- Anti-microbial – It is traditionally used in Sudan to purify water and is shown to reduce bacterial counts.
- Disinfectant – can be used to treat wounds.
- Carrier – It is excellent carrier oil for aromatic compounds.
- Hepatoprotective – Moringa oil protects the liver from damage.
- Emollient – Moringa oil is a great moisturizer for the skin.
- Preservative – This oil resists rancidity and also used as preservative in certain products.
- Exfoliant – drives away dead skin cells.
- Enfleurage – Moringa oil absorbs the aroma of essential oils and other fragrat compounds like herbs, nuts, seeds, spices and chemicals. This makes it the perfect perfume base.
Colour, Taste and Aroma
Ben oil is light yellow in colour. It is odourless with a mild taste.
Moringa seed oil offers many health benefits when used on the skin and also when taken internally.
1. Excellent Moisturizer
Ben oil is one of the best moisturizers for the skin. It should be applied to the skin as a massage oil. It imparts glow to the skin and makes it well moisturized, but not too oiled. This oil is absorbed well into the skin, making it a nice ingredient in many home made cosmetic products. This brilliant moisturization effects is because of very high amount of omega- 9 fatty acid ( oleic acid ) in moringa oil. It also makes the skin quite smooth, because of the behenic acid in it. Behenic acid is used in many products for its ability to smooth the skin and condition hair. This oil slips easily on the skin and spreads well.
2. Other Benefits for Skin
Besides moisturization, moringa oil can do a lot more for your skin.
- Moringa oil pacifies dry skin. It is helpful in dry, irritated skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Acne – Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, moringa seed oil can be used as a spot treatment for acne. It also aids the body in healing acne scars.
- It adds gloss to the skin, which may be needed sometimes, especially when the weather is dry.
- It can be applied over scars left behind by wounds, scrapes, bruises and burns. Moringa oil mixed with tamanu oil is a powerful scar diminishing formula.
- Fungal infections – Moringa oil can deal with certain fungal infections because it contains anti-fungal activity. One can use it on ringworm, athlete’s foot and jock itch.
- Anti-Aging – Regular application of moringa oil reduces the striking appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on the skin. It can be combined with an astringent product like aloe vera or witch hazel to make saggy skin taut.
3. Moringa Oil for Hair
It is just as good for the hair as it is for the skin. Moringa oil is a powerful hair conditioner. It should be used as a hot oil conditioner to deal with nearly any hair related problem. The hot oil treatment leaves the hair well moisturized, the hair roots are nourished, dandruff is washed out and there is much less irritation on the scalp. The best result is the conditioning. Hair is manageable and can be combed nicely. It adds shine or gloss to the hair, making them look beautiful.This effect is because of behenic acid in acid. Moringa oil also strengthens hair roots and as such can help with hair loss. It nourishes weak, damaged hair and reduces the lifelessness in them.
4. Liver health
Moringa oil has been identified to improve liver health in people whose liver has received damage due to toxicity. The liver , when it gets damaged releases certain signals regarding the damage. This is monitored using serum ALT and AST levels. This study shows that internal consumption of moringa oil lowered ALT and AST levels in liver damaged by a toxin. As a result, moringa oil can be used to lower the markers of liver damage in people whose liver is damaged by some toxins, viruses like hepatitis B, or certain medication.
5. As a Rheumatic Oil
Moringa oil is a nice rheumatic oil. It is applied to painful, arthritic joints. It can be use directly, or used as an oil pack, just like castor oil packs. It is effective at reducing swelling and inflammation, which provides relief from the pain in the joints. This can also be used in gout.
6. Management of Hysteria
Moringa oil can be used to calm down hysteria and uncontrolled emotional instability. This is a traditional use for the moringa seed oil.
7. Boosts Gum Health
Massage moringa seed oil onto the gums. It might seem a bit awkward, but its is not irritating as the oil has a mild taste. It relieves gum inflammation and is also helpful in scurvy.
TRUST ROCKET ROBIN
Rocket Robin is proud to be your supplier of truly natural products with simple ingredients in support of your family’s health and well-being.