Essential Oil Ravensara (15 mL)
Essential Oil Ravensara
Aroma: Slightly spicy and sweet, camphory, woody herbaceous with a fruity hint.
Traditional Use: Praised in Madagascar as a “Cure All” oil, in much the same way as tea tree oil is heralded in Australia.
Properties: analgesic, anti-allergenic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antidepressant, antifungal, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, disinfectant, diuretic, expectorant, relaxant and tonic substance.
How to Use: Inhalation, Diffusion, Topical.
Blends well with: eucalyptus, tea tree and spice oils like clove, black pepper. It also blends well with the commonly used essential oils like lavender and rosemary. It is used as an ingredient in essential oil blends to improve the functioning of our immune system by combining it with other oils like clove, cinnamon, frankincense, oregano, hyssop and many others.
Safety: Avoid while pregnant. Not intended for internal use.
HISTORY OF USE
Ravensara essential oil is a powerful oil from the mysterious island of Madagascar, that beautiful spot off the Eastern coast of Africa. Ravensara is a large rainforest tree native to Madagascar and its botanical name is Ravensara aromatica. The essential oil extracted from its leaves is used for its medicinal properties. In Madagascar this genus of trees are commonly called Hazomanitra, tree that smells.
Ravensara is an abbreviation of the Malagasy words ‘ravina’ which means leaf and ‘tsar’, which means good i.e. the tree with good leaves. There has been a lot of confusion over this oil and for many years Cinnamomum camphora ct. 1,8-cineole was also sold as Ravensara. The chemical profiles of these two oils are quite different and it becomes apparent when looking at these that the oil commonly referred to as Ravensara, was in fact Ravintsara (Cinnamomun camphora ct. 1,8-cineole). In more recent times essential oil suppliers and aromatherapy writers have started to correct this confusion and differentiate between these two quite different oils however some confusion may still exist so it is important to make sure from your supplier exactly which oil you have.
Ravensara essential oil is not a very popular essential oil, but it is used by people for highly specific health benefits. It is quite effective in dealing with the following health conditions.
1. Herpes and Shingles – Ravensara essential oil is quite effective in getting rid of herpes and shingles lesions. It is a proven antiviral against herpes simplex virus and kills the virus. Mix a few drops of Ravensara oil with tea tree oil. Add ample amount of a base oil, like coconut oil or olive oil. Apply this oil on cold sores, genital herpes and shingles lesions. Regular application 2 times a day provides great relief from the pain. The sores start to heal and they are much less painful. Coconut oil is an ideal base because it also has activity against herpes and varicella zoster virus. One can also include lemongrass essential oil in this home remedy for herpes and shingles.
2. Get rid of Phlegm – Ravensara essential oil is very helpful in conditions that lead to excess mucus or phlegm in the respiratory tract. It loosens the phlegm and helps to get it out of the body. This way, it is beneficial in cold, flu, productive cough, bronchitis, pneumonia and tuberculosis. It also relieves catarrh, a condition in which there is thick mucus and inflammation of the mucus membrane in the nose and throat. To get rid of phlegm, inhale the vapors of ravensara essential oil by putting a few drops of it in boiling water.
3. Depression – Inhaling the aroma of Ravensara essential oil is uplifting for the mind. It helps to get rid of negative thoughts and it also prevents a person from spiraling down into depression and melancholy. It relieves the feelings of sunken heart, a condition in which the person feels depressed and holds himself/herself responsible for some mishap.
4. Boost the Immune System – In aromatherapy, one can create wonderful oil combinations using essential oils. One can create a formula that stimulates the immune system and makes it perform better. It is among the finest immune boosting essential oils. Some of the most powerful stimulants of immune system are essential oils of bay laurel, rosemary, oregano, cinnamon, tea tree and eucalyptus.
5. Treating Bacterial Infections – Ravensara essential oil is a powerful antibacterial agent. It kills the H.pylori bacteria which is found in our stomach and leads to a host of digestive problems. Ravensara essential oil has also been found to inhibit the growth of MRSA infection ( methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus ). This group of bacterial infections are the cause of a number of dangerous infections.
6. Soothe Sore Muscles – Taking a warm water bath with 10 – 15 drops of Ravensara essential oil for about 15 minutes provides relief from sore, painful and aching muscles. It relieves pain due to muscle cramps and exhaustion. Warm water bath with this essential oil also alleviates nervous tension and promotes sleep.
7. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – People who suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome often find it difficult to stay active or concentrate for longer intervals of time. Their body tires quickly. There may also be an involvement of the mind in chronic fatigue syndrome. This condition can be relieved by inhaling Ravensara essential oil right from its bottle. Inhale deeply for about 20 seconds.
8. Aromatherapy – Ravensara essential oil is used in aromatherapy to treat many conditions. One should add about 4 – 5 drops of this essential oil in a vaporizer. Its medicinal aroma fills the environment and provides many therapeutic health benefits.
Headaches – Its mild camphor like aroma provides relief from headaches.
Sinus and Nasal congestion – It is a tonic for the respiratory tract. It reduces congestion in the sinuses and the nose, thus allowing one to breathe better. This effect is also helpful for dogs to breathe easy.
Anti-Stress – Its aroma acts as a relaxant for the body. It reduces the chances of spasmodic contractions and thus lowers physical stress on the muscles. It also provides relief from mental stress when used in combination with powerful stress reducing essential oils like calendula and chamomile.
Caution: NEVER USE INTERNALLY without consulting professional medical help
- Not recommended for pregnant women and infants.
Individuals with serious and chronic health issues should consult an expert prior to using oils.
TRUST ROCKET ROBIN
Rocket Robin is proud to be your supplier of truly natural products with simple ingredients in support of your family’s health and well-being.