Essential Oil Thyme (15 mL)
Essential Oil Thyme (100% Pure from Bulgaria)
Aroma: Warm, Spicy, Sweet, Strong
Traditional Use: Known since ancient times as a powerful medicinal herb, especially in Mediterranean countries for thousands of years.
Properties: antispasmodic, antirheumatic, antiseptic, bactericidal, bechic, cardiac, carminative, cicatrisant, diuretic, emenagogue, expectorant, hypertensive, insecticide, stimulant, tonic and vermifuge substance.
How to Use: Inhalation, Diffusion, Topically.
Blends well with: Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary and Pine.
Safety: Avoid while pregnant. Not intended for internal use. May be photo-sensitizing if consumed in large amounts, in rare cases.
HISTORY OF USE
Thyme has been a beloved aromatic for centuries. The ancient Greeks burned it as incense inside temples. Thyme was a symbol of courage, and in the Middle Ages, knights wore scarves embroidered with a sprig of thyme. A soup of beer and thyme was consumed to help overcome shyness. Now, thyme is most popular in the kitchen, however, aromatherapists everywhere know of its therapeutic value and employ it in their practices.
Thyme is a common herb and is generally used as a condiment or spice. Thyme is also used in herbal and domestic medicines. Thyme is botanically known as Thymus Vulgaris.
The medicinal properties of thyme come mainly from its essential oils which are extracted through steam distillation of fresh flowers and leaves. Oil of thyme is derived from thyme, also known as Thymus vulgaris. The perennial herb, a member of the mint family, is used in aromatherapy, cooking, potpourri, mouthwashes, and elixirs, as well as added to ointments. Thyme also has a number of medicinal properties, which is due to the herb’s essential oils.
Due to thyme oil’s antibacterial, antispasmodic, antirheumatic, expectorant, hypertensive, and calming properties, it has a long list of uses that include:
- Home remedy – Thyme oil is used to relieve and treat problems like gout, arthritis, wounds, bites, and sores, water retention, menstrual and menopausal problems, nausea and fatigue, respiratory problems (like colds), skin conditions (oily skin and scars), athlete’s foot, hangovers, and even depression.
- Aromatherapy oil – The oil can be used to stimulate the mind, strengthen memory and concentration, and calm the nerves.
- Hair product – It is said that thyme oil can prevent hair loss. It is used as a treatment for the scalp and is added to shampoos and other hair products.
- Skin product – Thyme oil can help tone aged skin and prevent acne outbreaks.
- Mouthwashes and herbal rinses – Like peppermint, wintergreen, and eucalyptus oils, thyme oil is used to improve oral health.
- Insecticide/insect repellent – Thyme oil can keep insects and parasites like mosquitoes, fleas, lice, and moths away.
Thyme oil is an effective natural agent against nasty bacterial strains. A study presented at the Society for General Microbiology’s spring conference in Edinburgh pointed out that essential oils may be efficient and affordable alternatives to antibiotics in the battle against resistant bacteria.
Among the essential oils tested, cinnamon oil and thyme oil were found to be the most successful against various Staphylococcus species, including the dreaded MRSA. Researchers said that this can help lower antibiotic use and minimize the formation of new resistant strains of microorganisms.
Oil of thyme can also function as a decontaminant for food products. As shown in Food Microbiology, both basil and thyme essential oils exhibited antimicrobial properties against Shigella sonnei and Shigella flexneri that may contaminate food. The compounds thymol and carvacrol in thyme oil demonstrated this benefit.
Furthermore, thyme oil can be used as a preservative against spoilage and several foodborne germs that can contribute to health problems. It is effective against other forms of bacteria like Salmonella, Enterococcus, Escherichia, andPseudomonas species.
Caution: NEVER USE INTERNALLY without consulting professional medical help
- Not recommended for pregnant women and infants.
Individuals with serious and chronic health issues should consult an expert prior to using oils.
TRUST ROCKET ROBIN
Rocket Robin is proud to be your supplier of truly natural products with simple ingredients in support of your family’s health and well-being.