Essential Oil Frankincense
Essential Oil Frankincense
Frankincense (Boswellia sacra), an oily gum resin from the tree Boswellia sacra and related species, is named in the Bible as one the three gifts given to the baby Jesus by the ‘Three Wise Men’. It has been used for thousands of years in many different cultures. Frankincense has a long history of medicinal, religious and social uses. It is the source of the oleo-gum-resin frankincense, which besides other uses, has long been valued for its sweet-smelling fumes when burnt. The name ‘frankincense’ is derived from the Old French ‘franc encens’, meaning pure incense or, more literally, free lighting. Incense containing frankincense was found in Tutankhamen’s tomb. Frankincense is well known for its supportive effect in meditation and has been used, traditionaly, with myrhh, and sandalwood, for deeper concentration, where it has a unique ability to slow, and quiet the mind. In skin care Frankincese offers healing, and anti-aging benefits where it rejuvenates, and repairs, the skin. The fragrance of Frankincense is fresh, and earthy, reminiscent of incense. It has a slight sweetness that is both warm and deep.
Aroma: Fresh, woody, spicy, balsamic with a citrus top note
Traditional Use: It was burned by the Egyptians and is used in many religious ceremonies. Traditionally it has also been used for skin ailments.
Properties: Analgesic, Antifungal, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiseptic, Astringent, Sedative, Tonic, Vulnerary
How to Use: Topical, Massage, Bath, Diffuse
Blends well with: Camphor, Cypress, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, lemon, Orange, Patchouli, Ylang ylang
Safety: Generally considered safe. Avoid during pregnancy. Not for internal use.
HISTORY OF USE
Boswellia sacra is a tree growing up to 8 m tall with papery, peeling bark. Trees are normally multi-stemmed, but can also have a single trunk. All parts of the tree are highly resinous. The leaves are clustered at the tips of the branches and are divided into leaflets. The flowers are borne in axillary racemes up to 10 cm long, crowded together at the end of the branches. The trees cling to boulders or rock-faces by means of a cushion-like swelling at the base of the trunk. This swollen base helps to stabilize the tree and is most developed in those growing on very steep or exposed rocks.
Frankincense Essential oil prepared by distillation of the gum resin traditionally used for aromatic therapy.
It is wonderful for the skin. This essential oil is both cicatrisant and cytophylactic. It is skin healing and effective on boils, acne and scarring on the skin as well as to assist stretch marks to fade. Being cytophlactic, it promotes the regeneration of healthy cells and keeps the existing cells and tissues healthy. Also effective as an antiseptic on wounds and cuts.
Frankincense is a powerful expectorant and very effective for respiratory issues such as colds, flu.
Mind & Spirit
Whether your meditation is sitting, standing, walking, or even very active, such as martial arts, frankincense will enable you to deepen the experience and aid your focus so that you benefit as much as possible from your practice, whatever it is. Just take a few drops on your palms, rub them together, breathe in deeply, and enjoy.
Diffused In Air
Frankincense oil can be added to pure water and used as a toner or refresher. You can add a little vodka to help it blend if you like. Shake the bottle before you spray it.
Or add 5-6 drops to diffuser.
- Skin Care: Frankincense essential oil is great for skin care and nearly everything related to skin; burns, rashes, cuts, scrapes, and oozing sores. It’s also fabulous for mature, prematurely aging, and environmentally challenged skin. To use as a night (or day) cream: just add a few drops to the base of your choice. This can be as simple as something like a bottle of Whole Foods unscented lotion, liquid soap, shower gel, or moisturizer. If you are making your own creams or oils, frankincense will be an excellent and appropriate addition. Percentages will vary but a reasonable rule is about 6 drops per 2 tbsp.
- Compress: Fill a bowl with cool water (or warm water if desired) add a few (3-5) drops frankincense and toss a washcloth in, then wringing it out and placing the cool cloth on your forehead. This is so nice and relaxing in the heat and after exercise. A warm compress will be beneficial for sore muscles and anywhere heat is desired.
- Joint and Muscle pain: Frankincense can help both of these conditions. Just add it to your mix of oils (5drops per each teaspoon of base vegetable oil – grapeseed, olive, coconut). Frankincense will always be a valuable addition to your blend. In addition to its anti-inflammatory property, it will calm, soothe and relax you.
Bath & Sauna
- Bath: For a quick frankincense bath, it’s the best add the essential oil to something so it dissolves a bit in the bath water. You can add your frankincense to alcohol (vodka) or honey or milk, mix and add to bath water.
- Shower: Just add a few drops to your washcloth and run it over yourself during your final (hot water) rinse. The steam will infuse with frankincense and you will enjoy a quick and intense frankincense steam bath, refreshing and relaxing at the same time!
- Facial steam: Frankincense is a great mini-facial. Just take a pot or pan of boiling water, add a drop or two (no more) frankincense oil to it. Lean over it and cover your head with a towel, breathing deeply. Your lungs will be so happy! And your face will rejoice! You can also try one drop frankincense and one drop lavender.
For lung support and during Yoga: The best ways are by inhalation, and massage of head and neck, breathing in deeply. You can even just put a few drops in your palm, rub your hands together, and breathe the oil directly from them. This is great to do before or after yoga. The experience will calm you, centering your energy and elevate your spirit. You will be able to give more presence to your yoga practice, and concentrate more fully on your breathing.
TRUST ROCKET ROBIN
Rocket Robin is proud to be your supplier of truly natural products with simple ingredients in support of your family’s health and well-being.